Author: Nicole Burnier
Sunday morning we will awaken in a new year. But before we leave 2016 in the past, we must first recount the most historic moments of the last 12 months.
As a young intern at CBS, I remember compiling my first “year in review” for our local station’s webpage. The science behind filtering which news made the cut simply boiled down to which news brought our network the most viewers. Sensationalized murders, political sex scandals, celebrity deaths and U.S. shootings were the types of stories that sold, so those was the types of stories we retold.
Today, I no longer view the news as a paycheck, but as a blueprint; a God-given map to our final destination. Because of that, what I considered “newsworthy” information during my early days as a journalist has drastically changed. So, underdog sports victories aside, here are what I consider to be the top ten news stories for 2016.
1. Donald Trump Elected President of the United States of America : The top story of 2016, republican candidate Donald Trump is elected as the 45th president of the United States. Supporters of defeated democratic candidate Hillary Clinton fly into an outrage, sparking riots and causing #NotMyPresident to go viral on Twitter. Despite many efforts, Trump has yet to be forced to forgo his victory.
2. “Brexit”: On June 23 a referendum was held in which 52% of votes were cast in favor of the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the European Union. The event stunned political commentators around the globe and called upon the resignation of Prime Minister David Cameron.
3. Pulse Nightclub Mass Shooting: On June 12, an ISIS loyalist opened gunfire on a popular gay nightclub, killing 49 people and injuring 53 others. Despite being the deadliest shooting in United States’ history, President Obama offered somewhat vague condolences and defended his refusal to address “Radical Islam”.
4. Istanbul Airport Terror Attack: On June 28, three terrorists armed with automatic weapons and explosive belts entered Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey. A total of 45 people were killed and more than 230 people were injured. Turkish officials say the attackers came from ISIL-controlled Syria.
5. Nice Terror Attack: On July 14, a 20-ton truck driven by a “soldier of the Islamic State” rammed into a crowd of people watching fireworks on a beach in Nice, France. 86 were killed as well as the driver. 11 others were arrested in the aftermath of the incident under suspicion of aiding in the attack.
6. Brussels Bombings: On March 22, suicide bombers set off explosions through the Belgian capital of Brussels; two at Zaventem Airport and one in a subway station. 32 people were killed and hundreds more were injured. Not surprisingly, ISIL claimed responsibility for the attacks.
7. Mosul, Iraq: On October 16, Iraqi forces, backed by US airstrikes, launched a massive offensive to take back the city of Mosul from ISIS, its last major stronghold in Iraq. ISIS fighters resisted fiercely and abducted thousands of innocent people from their homes and strategically moved them to the city center to deter airstrikes.
8. Breitscheidplatz Christmas Market Attack: On December 19, another large truck was used as a weapon of mass destruction when it plowed through a crowded Christmas market in Berlin, Germany. 12 people were killed and 48 others were injured. ISIS again claimed responsibility for the devastation via their terror-affiliated news agency Amaq.
(Note: According to the Associated Press, despite mass coverage of higher profile terrorist attacks, “extremist attacks flared at a relentless pace throughout the year in disparate locales around the globe”. The above atrocities were not just a handful of secluded events.)
9. Attacks on Police: Ambushes and other targeted attacks on police officers over the July deaths of Alton Sterling and Philandro Castile claimed at least 20 lives in the U.S. this year, according to the Associated Press. Victims included five police officers at a Dallas, TX protest; three officers in Baton Rouge, La; and two officers in Iowa.
10. Fury Over Transgender Bathroom Use: In May, eleven states sued the Obama administration over its directive to U.S. public schools to let transgender students use the bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity or risk losing federal funding. U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynn said “there is no room in our schools for discrimination” and supporters of transgender rights accused the concerned states of doing exactly that. The conservative states called the guidance a threat to safety.
So there you have it: 2016 was a year consisting of exacerbating global violence stemming from the Middle East; the great moral decline of U.S. society; and the prophesied election of whom some consider the “Cyrus of Babylon”. I’ll let each of you draw your own biblical conclusions of these events, but from the looks of what has come to pass, we should prepare to brace ourselves for what’s to come. Happy New Year, my brothers and sisters.
Author: Nicole Burnier
Nicole Burnier is a communications specialist and journalist from Chicago, IL. She received her Bachelor’s in Broadcast Journalism from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and is currently attending Grand Canyon Theological Seminary where she is pursuing her M.A. in Christian Ministry. In addition to being a graduate student, Nicole is undergoing her Discipleship through the Pentecostal Church of God, whom she will be ordained through. Burnier is currently writing her first book which will chronicle the supernatural encounters that led her to the Lord. She is also planning on releasing her first set of YouTube broadcasts in 2017.
- The Strange Case of Jaryd Atadero - February 8, 2017
- Ron Wyatt’s Monumental Discoveries: Episode I – The “Amateur Archaeologist” - February 5, 2017
- Trump Prophecy: 7 Prosperous Years! - January 18, 2017
- Top Scientist Predicts Book of Revelation - January 17, 2017
- The Magi - January 6, 2017
- Death Sentence Pending for Mother Emmanuel Shooter - January 3, 2017
- New Age to Jesus – Testimony of Hope Girl - January 3, 2017
- AN EXPOSÉ OF THE GREAT DARWINIAN PROPAGANDA MACHINE – WHAT IT IS, WHO IT IS AND HOW THEY OPERATE - January 2, 2017
- 2016 In Review - December 29, 2016
- GIAN Family – We Need Your Help - December 12, 2016