Revelation 2:12b The One who has the sharp two-edged sword says this:
Jesus is the owner of the two-edged sword. He is the one talking to the churches. This is another example of Jesus defining who He is. The two edged sword is previously noted to be in Christ’s possession in Revelation 1:16b …and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword…
Here are some other references to Jesus as a sword in Scripture. The sword penetrates more than flesh and blood. It cuts to the essence of who we are as humanity, soul and spirit. And Jesus Himself is sharper than the sword He possesses.
Isaiah 49:2 He has made My mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of His hand He has concealed Me; and He has also made Me a select arrow, He has hidden Me in His quiver.
The “word of God” is another name for Christ (See John 1:1-2, Revelation 19:13).
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it pierces even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
The Greek word for “sword” is ρηομπηαια/rhomphaia. Besides sword, it can also be translated as a long Thracian javelin, also a kind of long sword to be worn on the right shoulder. This definition is of note in light of Habakkuk 3:11.
Habakkuk 3:11 Sun and moon stood in their places; they went away at the light of Your arrows, at the radiance of Your gleaming spear.
The first sword as a weapon is dated to around 3,300 B.C. It was made of bronze. The earliest sword was found in what is central, modern day Turkey.
This sword is a weapon of war. The sword is described as sharp, swift, or quick. A two-edged sword is sharp on both sides of the blade. It can cut both ways. The user of the sword can attack from either the left or the right or assault head on. The sword belongs to Jesus and He is going to use it when He returns to establish His kingdom.
- Ramadan Peace Conference in Istanbul - June 26, 2017
- Revelation: Pergamum, Satan’s Throne - June 24, 2017
- Russia Issues Red Line - June 20, 2017
- Locust Plague in Syria - June 19, 2017
- US F18 Shoots Down Syrian Fighter Jet - June 18, 2017
- Revelation: Pergamum, A Two-Edged Sword - June 17, 2017
- US Senate Votes to Move Embassy to Jerusalem - June 12, 2017
- Revelation: Historical Pergamum - June 10, 2017
- Russian Forces Within 100 Miles of Israeli Border - June 9, 2017
- US Backed Kurds Vow to Take Raqqa From ISIS - June 7, 2017