Revelation 2:17 ‘He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it.’
White stone… The Greek word for stone is psephos. Per Strong’s, it is a small worn smooth stone, a pebble; in the ancient courts of justice the accused were condemned by black pebbles and the acquitted by white.
This is possible a reference to the Urim and Thummim stones. These stones are black and white. The reference in Scripture is from Exodus 28:30. Judgment is associated with these stones.
Exodus 28:30 And in the breastpiece of judgment you shall put the Urim and the Thummim, and they shall be on Aaron’s heart, when he goes in before the LORD. Thus Aaron shall bear the judgment of the people of Israel on his heart before the LORD regularly.
Urim in the Hebrew means “lights”.
Thummim in the Hebrew means “perfection”.
Light and perfection were stones kept in a pouch on the high priest’s breastplate; used in determining God’s decision in certain questions and issues. –Strong’s Concordance
Constable’s Notes made the following observation. Urim begins with the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet and Thummim begins with the last letter of the Hebrew alphabet. It could be translated in English as “curses and perfections”. Urim is no. Thummim is yes.
The New Testament equivalent in the Greek would be the concept of Alpha and Omega. The concept points to Jesus Christ.
As believers in Christ, we are acquitted of our sin by the bloodshed and work of Jesus on the cross. He is the payment for the crime for all eternity. Jesus has taken the judgment of His people and He is our high priest.
Jesus promises believers in Him a name change and it is personal…and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it.
And for good measure, Jesus will have a different name, and it is personal.
Revelation 19:12 His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many diadems; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself.
We will be given a small white stone. Jesus Himself is telling us this in the verse. As believers of Jesus Christ, we are acquitted.
Available in ebook and paperback at Amazon.com
Also available online at Barnes & Noble, iBooks, Kobo, and Inktera
- Shavuot & Replacement Theology, A Jewish Perspective - May 19, 2018
- Pentecost/Shavuot/Feast of Weeks: Two Loaves of Bread - May 16, 2018
- Nakba Day, 2018 - May 15, 2018
- U.S. Embassy Moves to Jerusalem, May 14, 2018 - May 14, 2018
- Mother’s Day, 2018 - May 13, 2018
- Putin & Netanyahu Meet in Moscow, Conflict in Golan & Damascus Escalates - May 9, 2018
- Trump Pulls Out of Iran Deal… Military Activity Near Damascus/Golan Heights - May 8, 2018
- Israel’s 70th Anniversary, Independence Day - May 6, 2018
- Revelation: Philadelphia, Christ Loves His Bride - May 6, 2018
- Straight Talk…Treasure in Earthen Vessels, Rodna Epley - May 2, 2018