Revelation 2:18 “And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write…
Tηυατειρα/Thyatira in the Greek means: “odor of affliction” per Strong’s Concordance. The “odor” may get its identity with a large swamp that is outside of town on the Lycus River. The area is reported to be full of bugs, insects, and disease. The city was located on the Lycus River.
The name Thyatira means “the castle of Thya” per International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. Today ancient Thyatira is modern day Akhisar, Turkey. Akhisar means “white castle”.
Thyatira was about 45 miles southeast of Pergamum.
Thyatira was home to a Christian population until 1920 AD. At that time, the Greek Orthodox population was deported. –Wikipedia.
The ancient city was considered to be a melting pot of religion and culture. This was not a city of political significance.
Thyatira was a city of trade but never a large metropolis. Agricultural crops included olives, olive oil, water melons, grapes, and raisins.
Thyatira had an extensive network of trades. Coppersmiths and construction work were part of the local system. Thyatira was also known for their purple dyes. Purple goods were synonymous with royalty and wealth. Lydia in Acts 16:14 sold expensive clothing and textiles. These items were a significant part of the local economy.
Acts 16:14 One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God…
The letter to the church at Thyatira is the longest of all the letters to the churches from Jesus.
Available in ebook and paperback at Amazon.com
Also available online at Barnes & Noble, iBooks, Kobo, and Inktera
- Love Your Neighbor…Featuring Paul Beverly - August 19, 2017
- Teshuvah, Nineveh’s Solar Eclipse - August 18, 2017
- Ezekiel 38: Who is Persia? - August 17, 2017
- Teshuvah, Solar Eclipse, 2017/5777 - August 16, 2017
- Iran Instead of ISIS/Kings of the East - August 13, 2017
- Russia, Turkey, & Iran…Peace Makers in Syria - August 9, 2017
- Ezekiel 38: Who Are Meshech, Tubal, Gomer, & Beth Togarmah? - August 8, 2017
- Bible Continues to Confirms Archaeology - August 6, 2017
- Revelation: Thyatira, Son of God - August 5, 2017
- Ezekiel 38: Who is Magog? - August 4, 2017