Revelation 3:3a Remember, then, what you received and heard. Keep it, and repent.
Remember, then, what you received and heard. There are three verbs in the initial part of the verse.
This is an appeal to mental faculties. One, remember or keep this information in your brain. Don’t forget it.
Second, the believer in Sardis received or λαμβανο/lambano in the Greek. Per Strong’s Concordance lambano means: to take without the notion of violence; to take what is one’s own, to take to one’s self, to make one’s own; to claim, procure, for one’s self; to associate with one’s self as companion, attendant.
The idea is a person has taken possession for themselves and it does not need to be done again. The item belongs to the individual. The procurement has binding results moving forward into the future. What is claimed is eternal.
Lastly, the information was heard. The person understood what was being said. There was consideration of the message. The message was perceived and comprehended.
What is the focus for the folks at Sardis? It is salvation through Jesus Christ. He is offering the gift of eternal life. Jesus is telling the church He is the object of their attention. The order of the verbs in the verse above is the opposite of their introduction to Jesus. Typically at first, a person hears the good news of Jesus. Second, they have an option to reject or receive the free gift of salvation. Lastly, a believer in Christ is to remember what they have taken as their possession.
What are people to do with the gospel message of Jesus Christ? Keep it, and repent.
Keep or τερεο/tereo in the Greek. It means: to attend to carefully, take care of, to guard. This is a consistent mental attitude. Keep or tereo is a present tense verb. It means to continually keep. This is a matter of lifestyle. Always protect and pay attention to our eternal salvation.
And if there are some sins hanging around in your life…Repent. This is the seventh of eight times the word “repent” is used to the churches in Revelation. Change your mind and make a change. Get the junk out of your life and stop it.
Available in ebook and paperback at Amazon.com
Also available online at Barnes & Noble, iBooks, Kobo, and Inktera
- Israel & Hamas Clash in Gaza Strip - February 18, 2018
- A Matter of the Heart… - February 17, 2018
- Straight Talk…God’s Glory & Satan, Rodna Epley - February 16, 2018
- Trump to be Minted on Temple Half Shekel - February 15, 2018
- Revelation: Sardis, The Thief is Coming - February 12, 2018
- Turkey’s Operation Olive Branch - February 11, 2018
- Israel Smokes Iranian Drone, F-16 Shot Down - February 10, 2018
- Straight Talk…God’s Glory & Resurrection, Rodna Epley - February 8, 2018
- Revelation: Sardis, Keep Your Clothes - February 3, 2018
- Blood Red Molchanka River, Tyumen, Russia - February 2, 2018