Matthew 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him.
March 2018: The Israel National Mine Action Authority and HALO Trust are removing land mines from the Qasr al-Yahud Baptism Site on the Jordan River. Many believe this is where Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.
Click on the link below for additional geography and analysis.
Qasr al-Yahud means The Castle of the Jews. The location is approximately 6 miles east of Jericho. 3,000+ mines are expected to be discovered and removed. Cost of the project is estimated to be around $4 million.
“Once the clearance is complete and INMAA and HALO officials can assure the site is safe, the church plots will be returned to the respective denominations and visitors will once again be able to visit these holy sites,” Israeli Defense Ministry.
The geography is a historical location of action in the Bible. It is believed to be the place where nation Israel crossed the Jordan River into the Promised Land after the Exodus from Egypt.
Joshua 3:1 Then Joshua rose early in the morning and they set out from Shittim. And they came to the Jordan, he and all the people of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over.
Joshua 4:19-20 The people came up out of the Jordan on the tenth day of the first month, and they encamped at Gilgal on the east border of Jericho. And those twelve stones, which they took out of the Jordan, Joshua set up at Gilgal.
Gilgal is immediately east of Jericho.
Elijah’s chariot ascended into Heaven from this location on the Jordan River.
2 Kings 2:1 Now when the LORD was about to take Elijah up to heaven by a whirlwind, Elijah and Elisha were on their way from Gilgal.
2 Kings 2:4 Elijah said to him, “Elisha, please stay here, for the LORD has sent me to Jericho.” But he said, “As the LORD lives, and as you yourself live, I will not leave you.” So they came to Jericho.
2 Kings 2:7 Fifty men of the sons of the prophets also went and stood at some distance from them, as they both were standing by the Jordan.
Elisha performed many miracles from here on the Jordan River. These are noted throughout 2 Kings.
2 Kings 5:10 Elisha sent a messenger to him, saying, “Go and wash in the Jordan seven times, and your flesh will be restored to you and you will be clean.”
This particular geography has historically been a hot spot for Biblical activity. Makes one wonder what the future has in store for this location.
- Straight Talk… The Trinity, Baptism and Resurrection, Featuring Rodna Epley - September 19, 2018
- Russian Aircraft Downed In Syria, Yom Kippur 5779/2018 - September 18, 2018
- Russia: An Emerging Market - September 17, 2018
- Yom Kippur/Day of Atonement: 5779/2018 - September 16, 2018
- Attitude Check - September 14, 2018
- Metonic Cycles… Featuring Phil Kulis - September 12, 2018
- Yom Teruah/Feast of Trumpets/Rosh Hashanah Declared, Tishri 1, 5779/September 2018 - September 11, 2018
- Will Turkey Align with Russia? - September 10, 2018
- In the Beginning… - September 6, 2018
- Red Heifer Update, September 2018 - September 4, 2018