Revelation 3:14a…And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
The church at Laodicea is the last and seventh church in the book of Revelation.
The church at Laodicea is mentioned a couple of times in the book of Colossians.
Colossians 2:1 For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face…
Colossians 4:15 Give my greetings to the brothers at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house.
See video link below for geography and analysis.
Located in the region of Phrygia, the city was named after the wife of Antiochus II. Her name was Laodice. The city was located approximately 40 miles east of Ephesus. Laodicea was located on the Lycus River near Colossae.
Laodicea was very wealthy due to its position on trade routes. The city was a prominent textile producer. It was world famous for its black wool. (Holman Bible Dictionary).
Banking and commerce played a key role in Laodicea. The city minted its own coins. The coins had the likeness of Zeus, Apollo, and Aesculpius.
Aesculpius was the god of medicine. The name Aesculpius is where we get the term “scalpel”. Surgery is a reminder of Aesculpius. Granted, Pergamum was the medical center of the ancient world. The worship of the medicine god Aesculpius took place throughout this region of modern day Turkey.
The temple of Men Karou was located near Laodicea. This was a famous medical school. Phrygian powder was a medicine for the eyes that was produced locally.
With their wealth, the city acquired an extensive art collection, monuments, and the finest literature.
In 60 AD, a massive earthquake nearly destroyed the city. Due to the immense wealth of Laodicea, the populous refused aid from Rome. They reconstructed at their own expense.
The people of Laodicea relied on nobody but themselves. They believed material wealth and money solved their problems. They had the best medical care in the known world. They had the finest clothes. They were well educated. They had access to whatever they wanted due to their location on trade routes. They were the source for all they needed.
Laodicea is the only church that is NOT commended by Jesus Christ.
Available in ebook and paperback at Amazon.com
Also available online at Barnes & Noble, iBooks, Kobo, and Inktera
- Putin, Erdogan, Rouhani Meet in Sochi - February 16, 2019
- Warsaw Middle East Peace and Security Conference - February 15, 2019
- Middle East Peace: “The Deal of the Century” - February 12, 2019
- Predestined With Free Will: Pharaoh’s Choice - February 10, 2019
- Created to Crave Community… Christine McDonald - February 8, 2019
- Straight Talk, Streams of Glory… Rodna Epley - February 7, 2019
- Pope Francis and Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Ahmed el-Tayeb, Sign Document on Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together - February 5, 2019
- Predestined With Free Will: Pharaoh Meets the LORD - February 3, 2019
- Remembering 9/11… Christine McDonald - February 1, 2019
- Straight Talk, Creation v. Random Chance… Rodna Epley - January 31, 2019