Joshua 10:1 As soon as Adoni-zedek, king of Jerusalem, heard how Joshua had captured Ai and had devoted it to destruction, doing to Ai and its king as he had done to Jericho and its king, and how the inhabitants of Gibeon had made peace with Israel and were among them…
This is the first mention of the city of Jerusalem in the Bible. Granted, some would argue the appearance of Melchizedek as the king of Salem is the first mention of the city. Jerusalem means “teaching of peace” or “city of peace”.
Historically, this mention of Jerusalem is roughly 1,400 years before the birth of Christ. This is about 3,400 years ago from our current time in the 21st century.
October 2018: A stone carving from the 2nd Temple era is now on display at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. The carving is approximately 2,100 years old. Its dating is estimated to be 100 BC. The carving reads, “Hananiah son of Dodalos of Yerushalayim.”
Yerushalayim is how the capital is articulated and enunciated in Hebrew today in 2018 (Gregorian calendar).
The stone was unearthed near the modern-day Jerusalem International Convention Center. The stone was found about a mile and a half from the ancient city limits.
The find was directed by archaeologist Danit Levi of the Israel Antiquities Authority.
The Director of the Israel Museum is Professor Ido Bruno. He made the following quote regarding the stone carving.
“Every child who knows a few letters of Hebrew can read it and understand that 2000 years ago, Jerusalem was written and spelled like today.”
For more details regarding the find, click the following link.
In case there is any question to the ownership of Jerusalem…
Zechariah 8:3 Thus says the Lord: I have returned to Zion and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem, and Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the Lord of hosts, the holy mountain.
Compelled to donate? Be a cheerful giver…
- Oh, How He Loves You… Christine McDonald - August 24, 2019
- Water Emergency Declared in Egypt - August 22, 2019
- Angels: Cherubim - August 19, 2019
- Straight Talk, Where Is Jesus Today??? Featuring Rodna Epley - August 14, 2019
- Temple Mount Violence: Tisha B`Av, 9th of Av, 5779/2019 - August 11, 2019
- Trump Agrees to Withdraw Troops from Syria - August 9, 2019
- Tisha B`Av, 9th of Av, 5779/2019 - August 7, 2019
- Blood Red Waters: Vancouver, BC, Canada - July 25, 2019
- Angels: Seraphim - July 21, 2019
- Tread Gently… Christine McDonald - July 20, 2019