Psalm 116:5 Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; our God is merciful.
Psalm 86:15 But You, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in loving devotion and truth.
Featuring Christine Clarity McDonald
Finally, let’s touch on the way age factors into people’s categorizations of “worthy versus unworthy victims.” They say the average prostituted person’s life span in the life of prostitution is seven years. If they make it the full seven years, they often end up dead from drug overdose, suicide, or murder. Only a small percent of these individuals will find a way out.
It is also said that the average age of entry into prostitution is around 13. Think about it. If a 13–year–old becomes a prostituted individual and survives seven years, they would only be 20 years old. We, as a society, see a youth in this awful life as a victim, but once they make it to 18, we expect them to somehow break the mental, emotional, and traumatic chains of prostitution and walk away. Once an individual crosses the invisible line of “adulthood,” we no longer view them as victims but as criminals. All compassion or awareness of the horrors they endure seems to disappear at that magical age of 18. Yet it is so much more complicated than that.
As I see it, the longer they are in it, the more trauma they have endured and the deeper the hurt. Yet because they didn’t recover at age 15, we say “screw them” when they are 19, or 22, or 36, or older and trying to find a way out. That is not okay. Think about it: Does God place an age limit on His grace in our lives? No, He does not. However, this is not how the majority of our society sees it.
Why is that? Who are we, as a society, as people of faith, and as service providers to determine what age someone is recoverable to begin their healing process? If God sustained them three days, three years, or 33 years in a horrific life of commercial sexual exploitation, then perhaps we should embrace God’s love for them and reflect that love as His children to His children.
“Love your neighbor, all of ’em.” -Christine Clarity McDonald
Read more at…
- Magnetic North on the Move - January 15, 2019
- Predestined With Free Will: Israel’s Chosen History - January 13, 2019
- The Cancer Called Despair - January 12, 2019
- Temple Location Revisited - January 10, 2019
- Super Blood Wolf Moon, January 2019 - January 8, 2019
- Predestined With Free Will: Nations - January 6, 2019
- The Promised Land in Christ - January 5, 2019
- Blood Red Rivers: Malawi, Africa; Jayapura, Indonesia - January 4, 2019
- Pontius Pilate and His Ring - December 31, 2018
- Israel Strikes Targets Near Damascus Airport - December 27, 2018