Jude 1:3b …I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.
Jude’s message of the gospel is intent, earnest, and urgent. With deep feeling and dire straits, Jude informs that he παρακαλέω/parakaleo or appeals to readers. παρακαλέω/parakaleo as defined by Strong’s Concordance means: to call to one’s side, call for, summon; to address, speak to, (call to or upon), which may be done in the way of exhortation, entreaty, comfort, instruction, teach, etc.; to beg, entreat, beseech; to encourage, strengthen. The grammar indicates Jude’s intent is continual or as a matter of habit and lifestyle. Jude is pleading with all his heart, soul, and mind.
Believers are called to chronically contend with intensity for the faith. Faith in what? Faith that was once for all. This is Greek word ἅπαξ/hapax. Simply put it means “once for all”. This is a reminder of the cross work of Jesus Christ. This is how Jesus manages sin, “once for all”. Christ’s one and only death is enough to cover the sins of the planet across the ages.
With Jesus, forgiveness of sin is not a one-time special offer. “For this year only…” No, you can come to Jesus any time you want. Now would be a good time. It does not have to be a special year or date. When Jesus dealt with sin, it was taken care of once and for all time. All people are covered if they are accepting of His effort and payment.
1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit.
Romans 6:10a For the death that He died, He died to sin oncefor all…
Hebrews 9:28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.
Hebrews 10:10 And by that will, we have been sanctified through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Who is this for? The saints.
But, Jude is changing course and topic…
Compelled to donate? Be a cheerful giver…
- Magnetic North on the Move - January 15, 2019
- Predestined With Free Will: Israel’s Chosen History - January 13, 2019
- The Cancer Called Despair - January 12, 2019
- Temple Location Revisited - January 10, 2019
- Super Blood Wolf Moon, January 2019 - January 8, 2019
- Predestined With Free Will: Nations - January 6, 2019
- The Promised Land in Christ - January 5, 2019
- Blood Red Rivers: Malawi, Africa; Jayapura, Indonesia - January 4, 2019
- Pontius Pilate and His Ring - December 31, 2018
- Israel Strikes Targets Near Damascus Airport - December 27, 2018