Jude 1:3b …I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.
Jude’s message of the gospel is intent, earnest, and urgent. With deep feeling and dire straits, Jude informs that he παρακαλέω/parakaleo or appeals to readers. παρακαλέω/parakaleo as defined by Strong’s Concordance means: to call to one’s side, call for, summon; to address, speak to, (call to or upon), which may be done in the way of exhortation, entreaty, comfort, instruction, teach, etc.; to beg, entreat, beseech; to encourage, strengthen. The grammar indicates Jude’s intent is continual or as a matter of habit and lifestyle. Jude is pleading with all his heart, soul, and mind.
Believers are called to chronically contend with intensity for the faith. Faith in what? Faith that was once for all. This is Greek word ἅπαξ/hapax. Simply put it means “once for all”. This is a reminder of the cross work of Jesus Christ. This is how Jesus manages sin, “once for all”. Christ’s one and only death is enough to cover the sins of the planet across the ages.
With Jesus, forgiveness of sin is not a one-time special offer. “For this year only…” No, you can come to Jesus any time you want. Now would be a good time. It does not have to be a special year or date. When Jesus dealt with sin, it was taken care of once and for all time. All people are covered if they are accepting of His effort and payment.
1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit.
Romans 6:10a For the death that He died, He died to sin oncefor all…
Hebrews 9:28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.
Hebrews 10:10 And by that will, we have been sanctified through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Who is this for? The saints.
But, Jude is changing course and topic…
Compelled to donate? Be a cheerful giver…
- A Spirit of Drunkenness - March 24, 2019
- Reminder, Saved By Grace… Christine McDonald - March 22, 2019
- The Individual and His Moral Code… Phil Kulis - March 21, 2019
- Israel, Greece, and Cyprus Participate in Gas Summit, March 2019 - March 19, 2019
- Turkey Enters Recession - March 18, 2019
- Purim 5779/2019 - March 16, 2019
- Exploiting Vulnerability… Christine McDonald - March 16, 2019
- Predestined: A Dry Nile River - March 12, 2019
- Red Heifer Update, March 2019 - March 9, 2019
- Church in the 21st Century… Beer Please! - March 5, 2019