Christine has assisted in writing Federal legislation for block grant dollars to states for Substance Abuse.
Our culture ascribes value to people based on a million things that are never listed or mentioned in the Bible as qualifiers for God’s grace and love. We can have compassion for all of the hurting we encounter. I pray that we are challenged to look, not at the behaviors of the moment, but at the people beneath. I hope we dig a little deeper and begin to fight for people.
Instead of passing judgment on the spot, what if we simply asked, “How did this individual get here, right here at this moment in time?” Then we could ask, “God, what would you have me see and do for this individual, right here at this moment in time?”
To be like Christ, we must look beyond the shell; then we will see a hurting individual and not just a label. Labeling can be just as damning as the objectification practiced by the buyers of sex. Let me reiterate: We are as guilty of objectification and commodifying people as the buyers of sex are when we accept and view people according to labels: “prostitute”, “addict”, “disturbed”, “criminal”, etc. I could continue the list, but I think you get the picture here.
We must look past the classification to the created person. God knows each one of us so well that He knows the numbers of hairs on our head (Matthew 10:30), so don’t you think He probably knows that guy on the street by name and not as “the addict?”
How do we look beyond the shell? How do we see beneath the surface of those we have a heart for? We have to be intentional, asking God to reveal this to us. We have to be humbled and willing to be uncomfortable.
What can we do? How can we change this? We have to get educated! We have to ask the right questions! And we, as a community, have to shift our views from criminal to hurting individuals for these populations!
Let’s hope eyes will be opened to see these individuals through new eyes, so that together we can make a real difference.
“Love your neighbor, all of ’em.” -Christine Clarity McDonald
Read more at…
- Putin, Erdogan, Rouhani Meet in Sochi - February 16, 2019
- Warsaw Middle East Peace and Security Conference - February 15, 2019
- Middle East Peace: “The Deal of the Century” - February 12, 2019
- Predestined With Free Will: Pharaoh’s Choice - February 10, 2019
- Created to Crave Community… Christine McDonald - February 8, 2019
- Straight Talk, Streams of Glory… Rodna Epley - February 7, 2019
- Pope Francis and Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Ahmed el-Tayeb, Sign Document on Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together - February 5, 2019
- Predestined With Free Will: Pharaoh Meets the LORD - February 3, 2019
- Remembering 9/11… Christine McDonald - February 1, 2019
- Straight Talk, Creation v. Random Chance… Rodna Epley - January 31, 2019