“For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has rejected you as king.” – 1 Samuel 15:23
A friend of mine who is a jet pilot once told me that whenever a jet goes out of control and begins to spin, the only thing to do is totally take your hands off the controls and the plane will right itself. This goes against our natural inclination to control and manipulate in order to bring things back under control. It is scary to be out of control. Or is it?
Saul was a man out of control. He was losing control of his kingdom to David. He was losing the favor of God and the people. It began as compromises. Eventually he was given a final test to obey the voice of God fully. He was instructed to kill the Amalekites completely; but he failed to follow through.
The prophet Samuel delivered a hard word to King Saul, “Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has rejected you as king” (1 Samuel 15:26).
Saul obeyed partially, but not fully. It was partial obedience that led to his removal as king of Israel and his calling from God. But why did Saul do such a thing?
“I was afraid of the people and so I gave in to them.” (1 Samuel 15:24b).
Saul’s fear and insecurity made him more afraid of the people and what they thought than of God. At the core of Saul’s disobedience was fear of losing control. That fear of losing control led to partial obedience and the loss of his reign as king.
How many of us are in danger of losing God’s blessing due to partial obedience? How many of us have such a need to control people and circumstances that we fail to fully walk in obedience to God’s voice in our lives? Saul provides a great lesson for us as believers. The need to over-control things around us can prevent us from receiving all that God has for us. Today, take an inventory of your control quotient.
“Love your neighbor, all of ’em.” -Christine Clarity McDonald
Read more at…
- Resurrection Consequences - April 20, 2019
- The Most Important Decision Of Your Life - April 19, 2019
- Passover Sacrifice 5779/2019 - April 16, 2019
- Preview: God’s Spring Appointed Holidays 5779/2019 - April 14, 2019
- Turkey Begins Filling Ilisu Dam - April 10, 2019
- Egypt Will Fear Israel… God’s Will - April 7, 2019
- MUST Have Control? Let It Go… Christine McDonald - April 5, 2019
- Ancient Chorazin Discovery - April 4, 2019
- Nathan-Melech, Servant to King Josiah - April 2, 2019
- Is Turkey the “Catalyst” that Breaks the World? - April 1, 2019