Tisha b’Av: To the Jew, this is a date, the 9th of Av. Av is a Hebrew month. It is the 11th month of the civil calendar or the 5th month of the religious calendar.
It usually occurs during July or August on the Gregorian calendar. This Gregorian calendar year of 2019, the Jewish date begins on Saturday, August 10 and ends at sundown on Sunday, August 11th.
The 9th of Av is a day of mourning in Israel. Tragedy came about because of the account of Numbers 13-14. This event occurred immediately after God had delivered Israel out of bondage in Egypt. The short story is the Lord told Moses to send a group of spies to go scout the Promised Land. The spies came back and proclaimed the Jews could not take the land because of the inhabitants of the land were too big and too strong. The people rebelled against Moses. The people stated they would rather go back to Egypt. The nation (except Caleb and Joshua) did not believe God to give them the Promised Land. We know it occurred during the grape harvest per the text (Numbers 13:20). This event is said to have occurred on the 9th of Av. God pronounced judgment on the nation at that time. And this date is said to be a reminder of nation Israel’s lack of faith in God.
Here is a list of Jewish history on the 9th of Av/Tisha B `Av.
- 586 BC, the first Temple was destroyed.
- 70 AD, the second Temple was destroyed.
- 135 AD, Betar fell. It was the last fortress to hold out against the Romans during the Bar Kochba revolt.
- 136 AD, one year after the fall of Betar, the Temple area was plowed.
- 1290 AD, Jews were expelled from England.
- 1492 AD, King Ferdinand of Spain issued the expulsion decree, setting Tisha B’Av as the final date by which not a single Jew would be allowed to walk on Spanish soil.
- 1914 AD, World War I began the downward slide to the Holocaust.
- 2005 AD, Israel turns over the Gaza Strip.
The following is from the Temple Institute in Jerusalem.
People Get Ready!!!
The vision of the rebuilt Holy Temple in Jerusalem is the hope of all mankind and unites the family of man. People get ready! It is time to rebuild and transform mourning into preparation for the glory of the future.
Isaiah 2:2 It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be lifted up above the hills; and all the nations shall flow to it…