Ezekiel 10:4 Then the glory of the LORD rose from above the cherubim and stood over the threshold of the temple. The temple was filled with the cloud, and the court was filled with the brightness of the glory of the LORD.
Positionally, God is above the cherubim. Well of course, the LORD is also over His creation, the nations and kingdoms, Israel, and humanity. This is not a one time observation. The concept is reinforced in Scripture. Cherubim, as well as the rest of creation, are subject to the authority of God. See some more examples below.
Isaiah 37:16 O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth.
Psalm 80:1 Oh, give ear, Shepherd of Israel, You who lead Joseph like a flock; You who are enthroned above the cherubim, shine forth!
Psalm 99:1 The LORD reigns, let the peoples tremble; He is enthroned above the cherubim, let the earth shake!
So what is the big deal, cherubim are subjected to God their creator? In general this is not a problem, except for one…
This formerly anointed cherub is not interested in serving God. He does not want to be an equal to God. His heart is filled with self-regard and has an exaggerated sense of self-importance. He wants to place himself above the LORD of hosts (God’s title as a military commander). This cherub sees himself as a conquering leader and warrior. He wants to subdue and rule over humanity. He sees himself as moral authority. He can do it better than God.
Isaiah 14:12-14 How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low! You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’
A lot of misery and suffering will continue to occur because of this attitude. But, its time will come to an end…
- Gabriel: Jesus Is Coming - February 9, 2020
- Wuhan Virus Update, February 7, 2020 - February 7, 2020
- Where Is God??? Joshua of Ghana - February 6, 2020
- The Primary Purpose of the Gospel – And an Accurate Perspective… Rodna Epley - February 4, 2020
- Locusts Sweeping Across the Middle East - February 1, 2020
- Weathering the Storms of Life… Christine McDonald - January 31, 2020
- Trump’s Deal of the Century - January 30, 2020
- Gabriel Covers Mary in Grace - January 26, 2020
- Wuhan Coronavirus Spreading Across Asia - January 22, 2020
- Gabriel’s Resume - January 19, 2020