Acts 20:29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.
1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God. For many false prophets have gone out into the world.
…Of course, I thought to myself, I’m a working girl. Not even a leader of faith can allow me some safety, some sleep, some warmth, without expecting me to perform at some level. I understood all too well that being a prostitute meant the world around me viewed me differently. I knew people didn’t see us the same as everyone else.
Leaders of faith, law enforcement, case workers—it was all the same. Leaders of the faith would use you just like everyone else. The officers who arrested you would drive you someplace, only to offer to let you go if you’d perform. Sometimes you’d perform for them only to be treated horribly while they laughed and called you names. And they’d still take you to jail.
I suppose, as I consider, I have been bought/paid for by lawyers, judges, teachers, preachers, counselors, construction workers, professional athletes, journalists, cops, fathers, grandfathers uncles, brothers, husbands, boyfriends—I could go on. But one thing is absolute: They, the buyers, were from all walks of life and all economic statuses; the only common denominator they had was me, the prostituted person, an object for their play of privilege and perversions. And on this day a believer, a faith leader, an apparent “helping hand” could not see my pain, my despair.
Even the supposed good guys saw me, the prostituted, as a mere, simple object and somehow less than human and unworthy of anything beyond that identity. Thus the cycle of exploitation continued in place of the help I desperately sought.
“Love your neighbor, all of ’em.” -Christine Clarity McDonald
- Gabriel’s Resume - January 19, 2020
- Putin Presents Constitutional Changes, Russian Gov’t Resigns - January 15, 2020
- Not Vain After All… Joshua of Ghana - January 13, 2020
- Russia & Turkey Broker Cease Fire in Libya - January 9, 2020
- Gabriel Visits a Virgin - January 5, 2020
- Bond of the Street… Christine McDonald - January 3, 2020
- Libya Invites Turkish Troops - December 29, 2019
- The Birth of Christ and Taxes, God’s Will - December 24, 2019
- Angels: Gabriel to Nazareth - December 22, 2019
- My Back, Your Back… Christine McDonald - December 20, 2019