Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Joshua of Ghana @beholy404 on Twitter
When a rich man excludes God from his life and embarks on a journey seeking only the pleasure, he cannot but conclude at the end of it all that it has been a futile search. He would learn, as King Solomon did, that when the Lord endows a person with enormous wealth, he needs to seek divine counsel on how not to allow the riches to transform into an idol that drowns one in a sea of vanities. Being blessed with such heavenly wisdom allows one to know that life is not about dependence on the emptiness of riches.
Solomon waded through an ocean of riches, swimming in a plenitude of resources that made him take a flight from considerations of eternal value. He was rooted to this world and its deceptive pleasures. He got anything he desired as long as it gave him excitement. He completed his quest for fun with the ultimate in polygamy.
But the joy Solomon looked for through riches and pleasure eluded him. Why? Life resting on itself or on the things of this ephemeral world for existence is meaningless and vain. Real life is about a connection to the Source of life. Living in true joy is about pleasing the Giver of life, not in pleasing oneself. Any venture that discards this view is doomed and bound to experience the tragic frustration.
Therefore, the book of Ecclesiastes concludes fittingly with the instruction that “the whole duty of man” is to “fear God, and keep His commandments”. Those who fear God and honor His laws will not go after pleasure but “seek… first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.” That way, they will not end life being miserable and empty in the midst of plenty. They will see life as God’s possession to only hold in custody, not for carnal pleasure but for His use.
- Wuhan Coronavirus Spreading Across Asia - January 22, 2020
- Gabriel’s Resume - January 19, 2020
- Putin Presents Constitutional Changes, Russian Gov’t Resigns - January 15, 2020
- Not Vain After All… Joshua of Ghana - January 13, 2020
- Russia & Turkey Broker Cease Fire in Libya - January 9, 2020
- Gabriel Visits a Virgin - January 5, 2020
- Bond of the Street… Christine McDonald - January 3, 2020
- Libya Invites Turkish Troops - December 29, 2019
- The Birth of Christ and Taxes, God’s Will - December 24, 2019
- Angels: Gabriel to Nazareth - December 22, 2019