Joshua of Ghana @beholy404 on Twitter
Psalm 10:1 Why standest thou afar off, O LORD? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?
In 1755, an earthquake struck the city of Lisbon. It was All Saints Day when it happened, meaning that the churches were full. In just six minutes, 15,000 people were killed and another 15,000 severely wounded. French philosopher, Voltaire could not accept this disaster. He revolted against the problem of evil in the world. How can a person possibly believe in a good, wise and powerful God in the face of human suffering? Voltaire became a celebrated and a dedicated atheist. And he died in overt rebellion against God because of his inability to reconcile the presence of evil in a world governed by a merciful God.
Psalm 10 could be taken as a request for God to act. The Psalmist cataloged the presence of evil and several actions of the wicked that should have resulted in instant judgment and punishment from God; but there seems to be no immediate penalty. This confusion continued until he got a clarification from God.
Forgetting the problem of man’s rebellion against a just God that often prevents Him from answering our prayers, atheists would rather use the presence of pain and suffering in the world as their biggest talking point. Whenever we violate God’s laws and set aside His commandments, trouble will certainly come; because hard is the way of transgressors.
Man is a free moral agent and therefore can choose to do good or evil. God would not take away the freedom of choice from man, otherwise, as a robot, man can be excused, if he is not responsible.
When we experience these kinds of situations where we cry to God and He appears silent, it calls for self-examination to discover our sins and shortcomings instead of blaming Him for failing to act. We must understand that God knows and will definitely uphold justice either immediately or at a future time.
- Gabriel: Jesus Is Coming - February 9, 2020
- Wuhan Virus Update, February 7, 2020 - February 7, 2020
- Where Is God??? Joshua of Ghana - February 6, 2020
- The Primary Purpose of the Gospel – And an Accurate Perspective… Rodna Epley - February 4, 2020
- Locusts Sweeping Across the Middle East - February 1, 2020
- Weathering the Storms of Life… Christine McDonald - January 31, 2020
- Trump’s Deal of the Century - January 30, 2020
- Gabriel Covers Mary in Grace - January 26, 2020
- Wuhan Coronavirus Spreading Across Asia - January 22, 2020
- Gabriel’s Resume - January 19, 2020